What can brokers expect from BMW?
The one thing they can’t, explained BMW national leasing manager Adam Harley, was direct terms. However, in the future, selected brokers would potentially:
- Receive demonstrators from BMW corporate sales
- Receive product information about new models
- Invitations to new model launch presentations
- Tactical programmes organised with leasing companies
LEASING brokers who came to those early broker dinners at The Wharf, Teddington, where the idea of the Federation germinated, will recall a certain Steve Chater from BMW among the manufacturer guests.
This at a time when BMW preferred not to acknowledge brokers – at least officially.
How things have changed! Lee Pennells has just been appointed to a newly created role of tactical leasing manager focusing on tactical sales and BMW Group’s approach to the broker sector.
“It took some persuading the BMW Group business about why we needed a relationship with brokers,” explained Adam Harley, national leasing manager.
“But there’s no question that brokers, through their leasing company partners, are the fastest growing sector of the market.”
Harley then outlined the expected parameters of the new relationship.
I believe we are missing out if we don’t have a relationship with brokers
“We don’t want to have a direct relationship but we could see a scenario where we have a tripartite relationship between BMW Group, our leasing partners and selected brokers on a tactical basis.
“So the first step, in what are relatively early stages for us, is the appointment of Lee Pennells, which fully recognises the growing influence of this broker channel.”
Lee joined BMW from Nissan as a key account manager in 2007. His new appointment is part of a series of changes to the BMW Group corporate sales department. These include:
- Ian Munro, leasing key account manager, who joins from Fiat Chrysler Automobiles where he was responsible for leasing company relationships and residual value management;
- Hollie Crumlish, leasing key account manager, who joins from the manufacturer engagement team at LeasePlan; and
- Jack Munford, leasing key account manager, who transfers from Alphabet and builds on experience gained in the leasing sector and BMW retailer network.