A FASCINATING insight into how people in the UK drive is revealed as a First Vehicle Leasing survey says the Midlands is a drink-drive hotspot – and 58% of drivers there have been in a crash.
The car leasing and finance broker’s survey provides a fascinating insight into road rage, driving after consuming alcohol – not necessarily over the limit – and accidents, as well as car upgrade frequency and general driving style.
The survey was carried out early this year and the data was collected in April 2016. Some 1,174 people took part from all over the UK. Among the many startling findings are the facts that:
- 43% of men surveyed have been caught by a speed camera
- Men are 33% more likely to have been in a car crash than women
- 32% of drivers surveyed in the Midlands drive after drinking within the legal limit – the highest of any region; Scotland reported the fewest, at 12%
- 52% of Scottish drivers surveyed have been behind the wheel when sleepy
- Road rage incidents escalate to physical aggression or assault in the north more than anywhere else
- 37% of drivers surveyed in the south have been caught by a speed camera
- 94% of over-65s surveyed have NEVER been involved in road rage – under-33s are the most road-rage-prone age group
- 58% of drivers surveyed in the Midlands have been involved in a crash or collision
Graham McCarthy, operations manager at First Vehicle Leasing, said: “This unique survey provides a very interesting insight into just how people drive in the UK which I’m sure will be of interest to policymakers, insurers and all road users.
Check out the risks
“Particularly interesting findings include the fact that, of those surveyed, almost no-one over the age of 65 has ever been involved in road rage, whilst drivers aged under 33 are far more likely to have experienced road rage.
“The fact that the majority of those drivers surveyed in the Midlands have been involved in a crash or a collision and that the majority of Scottish drivers have driven whilst sleepy also provide much food for thought.
“I’m certain that this fascinating survey will stimulate much debate about how people really drive in the UK.”
Other key statistics from the survey include:
- 71% of drivers surveyed replace or upgrade their car within five years
- 56% of cars are nearly always occupied by only one person
- 43% of males surveyed have been caught by a speed camera
- Drivers in the Midlands get caught speeding the most
- 33% of all males surveyed drive after drinking within the limits, compared to only 19% of all females
- Almost two thirds of drivers aged 33 and under drive when they’re feeling sleepy, and the sleepiest drivers are in Scotland (52%)
- 14% of the incidents require the emergency services to intervene
- Younger drivers (33 and under) are more likely to be involved in road rage
- In the north of England, 15% of road rage incidents escalate to physical aggression or assault
- 56% of drivers surveyed aged 55 and over have been involved in a crash or collision
- Around a third (36%) of 18–24-year-olds surveyed have been involved in a crash
- Drivers in the Midlands reported the highest frequency of involvement in crashes, at 58%
- For all the results from the survey, see the complete First Vehicle Leasing report.