389 Gerry Keaney
389 Gerry Keaney

THE BVRLA has issued guidelines to leasing companies and fleets warning that drivers need to think ahead about what documentation is required when taking a vehicle abroad.

This comes as the government publishes further guidance on International Driving Permits and Green Cards, as part of its no-deal-Brexit preparations.

BVRLA Chief Executive Gerry Keaney said: “We are reminding drivers of leased and rented vehicles of their obligation to get a VE103 certificate from their hire or lease company before taking their vehicle overseas.

“It is essential documentation that our members provide customers with to prove that they have permission to drive the vehicle. Without it, they can be subject to delays at the border, or in the worst instance, have their vehicle impounded.”

From now, 2,500 Post Office branches will be selling International Driving Permits (IDP). Previously only 65 branches provided this service. Depending upon the outcome of EU-Exit negotiations, UK citizens may need to carry an IDP as well as their UK driving licence when driving on the continent.

Drivers can find out more about the VE103 on the BVRLA website and should visit the DVLA or Gov.uk websites to check the latest guidance on documents required when driving abroad.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here